Monday, September 17, 2007


(Image found on google, but when searched for a second time, was not found. Your image? Let me know)

We arrived in New York not long ago. That was perhaps the longest drive a person could undertake without going insane...however we did go insane.

We gave ourselves a lot of time to get here so we would be able to rest before the show because god knows we aren't going to get it later. It was also in case we got lost...and boy did we get lost. There appear to be an infinite amount of junctions between the west and east coasts. Almost as if they try to discourage the two coasts meeting via automobile.

As we came upon the first junction we were confused by the map and didn't know whether to go right or left. We went left. Turns out we shouldn't have gone left. It brought us up into some forest-like area...also known as "not-the-midwest."

As we entered New York with a sigh of relief we ended up taking another wrong left and getting lost in NYC and nearly had a run-in with a crabby taxi cab driver. The trip proved my theory that all unplanned left turns turn out badly.



So it's time for practice then a hopeful soundcheck before the first band, which is us, goes on.

6 comments:

Sean said...

Nice Crazy Taxi. I hope the music thing does you well...I've seen so many people struggle... At one point I was working as as a program manager for an educational station out in the east Bay: KVHS. Are you currently working with a record company, and/or a manager, or are you doing all of your own booking at this point? Actually, there's a lot of information I'm curious about.

Hey, listen. If you want information about what a radio station might be looking for, --or a record company for that matter, keep in communication. Face-to-face is fine by me, or you can continue this whole "electronic" exchange of information. whatever.

I've listened to over 500 local band CD, and I can tell you the do's and Don'ts

#1 Don't spend money when you don't have to

#2 Do your research

#3 Don't be afraid to sell out a little. Only when an artist has "Made it" do they get a chance for real freedom of expression. For Example:

Listen to the first single from System of a Down. With the exception of the intro (which was probably chosen by a producer) The song is pretty by-the-book.

Zoe said...

It's exhausting enough to always be on the road...it must be really tough to have to perform once you reach every destination! My boyfriend and I have done a couple of roadtrips and we always end up sleeping for days once it is over. I found a really great site that has excellent tips for planning roadtrips, it also offers suggestions on how to save money...which I think would be super useful for a touring band. Check out Road Trip America, it should help a bit.

No-No Spot said...

Road trips are always fun, but that seems really excessive. I get really antsy when I'm in the car that long, especially if I'm driving. It must be fun though, knowing you have a show to do. Hope it went well. As far as wrong turns maybe you need a navigation system, this way you wont take fatal left turns...you can find some of the best reviewed ones here.

Somalian Banquet Coordinator said...

Great movie. After I read this blog, I was thinking you could alternately title it, "Three Lefts Make a Right." Thank you for clearly stating that this is a work of fiction. I wold be interested in reading about the discomforts of the road compared to te joy of home, or something of that nature, for a future topic. Does your touring vehicle have have a bathroom?

Marie Drennan said...

Good job trying to find the person whose image you used; very proactive and responsible! It also lets people who see your post know that you value giving creators credit for their work, and encourages similarly ethical behavior. Well done.

Very funny and entertaining writing style. This is a really fun blog to read! It's pretty convincingly "real," too; I'd believe this was really someone in a band trying to get to New York.

Couple of bugs to fix:

"however, we did go insane" (needs comma)

check last paragraph for tense-switching (past/present)

No-No Spot said...

Um. So I totally just got that it's fiction. So slow. I guess you wont be needing that link after all. Ha.